We All Looked Up
by Tommy Wallach
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 31st 2015
Four high school seniors put their hopes, hearts, and humanity on the line as an asteroid hurtles toward Earth in this contemporary novel.
They always say that high school is the best time of your life.
Peter, the star basketball player at his school, is worried “they” might actually be right. Meanwhile Eliza can’t wait to escape Seattle—and her reputation—and perfect-on-paper Anita wonders if admission to Princeton is worth the price of abandoning her real dreams. Andy, for his part, doesn’t understand all the fuss about college and career—the future can wait.
Or can it? Because it turns out the future is hurtling through space with the potential to wipe out life on Earth. As these four seniors—along with the rest of the planet—wait to see what damage an asteroid will cause, they must abandon all thoughts of the future and decide how they’re going to spend what remains of the present.
1) Most likely things to cause the apocalypse and why?
Oh my, that’s a depressing question! Well, there’s a whole lot of climate change going on, and for many people, it’s going to result in apocalypse. California droughts, rising tides in island nations, deforestation…I don’t want to think about this stuff! So I’ll say that it’ll probably be squirrels. Squirrels are everywhere, and they’re fast and small, and I think they’re smarter than they let on. Yeah…watch those squirrels.
2) Top ten things you'd do if the end of the world was coming?
10. Get a bunch of puppies and just roll around in the grass with them for a few hours.
9. Eat a $1000 dinner somewhere. I don’t know what’s in a $1000 dinner, but I know I want it.
8. Convince Natalie Portman to fall in love with me.
7. Go to a bungee jumping place, but chicken out.
6. Watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy again, because it’s that good.
5. Read The Remains of the Day again, because it’s that good.
4. Listen to a lot of Belle and Sebastian, because they make me happy.
3. Go back to the bungee jumping place. Chicken out again.
2. Eat some Domino’s Pizza, and for the first time, not worry if this is the one that will kill me.
1. Convince Chloe Grace Moretz to fall in love with me. Make sure she gets along with Natalie Portman.
3) When have you felt like the world was ending? (Metaphorically of course!)
So many times! When my high school girlfriend broke up with me and started going out with her boss. When my last relationship ended. When my agent dropped my third novel and me as a client. When my fourth and fifth and sixth books failed to go anywhere. When Breaking Bad ended. Life sure is full of catastrophes, isn’t it?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Tommy Wallach is a Brooklyn-based writer and musician. His first novel, We All Looked Up, will be published by Simon and Schuster in April 2015. His work has appeared in many nice magazines, such as McSweeney's, Tin House, and Wired. He has released an EP with Decca Records, and will be independently putting out an LP in Spring 2014. He also makes music videos, including one that was exhibited at the Guggenheim Museum. You should buy him dinner.